This is a lovely Christmas vegan cake recipe, made with wholemeal unbleached self raising flour and dry fruits cooked in fresh fruit juice. Decorate as desired with glace cherries, silver cachous and/ or, drizzled lemon flavoured sugar syrup on the top.
- Unbleached Wholemeal Self Raising Flour – 2 cups
- Mixed Dry Fruits/ Candied Peels, finely chopped – 2 cups
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Orange Juice – 1 cup
- Soy Milk – 1 cup
- Raw Sugar – 1/2 cup
- All Spice Mix – 1 teaspoon
1. Sift the flour and all spice mix together and set aside.
2. Mix the apple cider vinegar with the milk and let it curdle for a while.
3. Simmer the fruits in the fruit juice on slow heat and add the raw sugar as little bubbles appear on the sides of the pan. Mix well and cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease an 8″ baking tin.
5. Mix the dry flour mixture with the curdled milk before adding the fruit mix in. Whisk well to combine everything.
6. Carefully pour batter into the prepared pan and, cover the top completely with foil.
7. Bake at 165 degrees C for about 1.5 hour or, till the skewer comes out clean (try not to put the skewer into any fruit as I did, because it will still be sticky!)
Cool thoroughly before covering with a sugar glaze and icing.
Enjoy & Merry Christmas!