This is my mother’s famous Coconut Cake recipe which is very simple to make and good to eat. It doesn’t last long!
We need to get three different items ready before assembling the final product – cake, strawberry jelly and the chocolate ganache.
For the Cake,
- Self Raising Flour – 1 cup
- Coconut Sugar – 1 cup
- Coconut Meal – 1 cup
- Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Mix all the dry ingredients together first and then add the coconut milk.
- Mix with a wooden spoon till all the lumps dissolve.
- Preheat the oven to 175 Degrees Celsius at fan forced setting.
- Grease and line a 6″ cake pan.
- Using a smaller pan yields a higher cake which is good for layering.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until a lovely golden crumb crust develops.
- Check if baked through and cool well for at least 6 hours before cutting into layers.
For the Strawberry Jelly,
- Strawberries, finely chopped – 1 cup
- Raw Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Corn Flour – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Add the strawberries and raw sugar into a thick bottomed pan and heat gently.
- Whisk the corn flour into the water till smooth.
- Add this mixture to the pan.
- Stir well to combine everything.
- Bring to a boil while mixing constantly.
- Turn the heat off and mix the lemon juice in.
For the Chocolate Ganache,
Vegan Dark Chocolate Chips – 1 cup
Tofutti Cream Cheese – 1/2 cup
Add both the ingredients into a sturdy microwave proof bowl and heat for 30 seconds at high. Room temperature ingredients work best. Whisk till smooth!
Slice the cake into equal layers and pour the Strawberry Jelly on the bottom half to spread. It starts to set if allowed to cool so, I needed to work quite fast.
Spread all over with Chocolate Ganache and sprinkle some flaked, dessicated coconut on top, if desired.