“Bhaji Pao“, an all time favourite street food this medley of potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper and green peas is available from food hawkers across India. I use this recipe as an excellent way of finishing up all the lingering vegetables at the end of the week 😃 This is a low fat vegan version as, oodles of butter are used in the original version.
To make 6 servings,
- Potatoes, chopped – 1 cup
- Cauliflower, chopped – 1 cup
- Bell Pepper, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Beans, sliced – 1/2 cup
- Carrots, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup
- Onion, chopped – 1 medium sized
- Tomato Paste – 3 tablespoons
- Garlic Cloves, minced – 4 to 5
- Ginger, minced – 2″ inch piece
- Red Chillies, deseeded & sliced – 1 or 2, as preferred
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander Leaves, chopped finely – 2 tablespoons
SPICE MIX : Roast 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, cumin seeds, green cardamom seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg until aromatic. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed deep pan and coat well ( I used my trusty pressure cooker!)
- Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and chillie until aromatic.
- Add the spice mix and stir in the turmeric and tomato paste.
- Stir in all the vegetables and season with salt.
- Add in the water and cover cooked until the veggies are soft and can be mashed with the back of a spatula.
- Take off the heat and mash the vegetables well.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with “Pao/ Pav” rolls, red onion slices and lemon juice sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!