Winter brings tempting rich gravies and warming curries along with flavoursome rice dishes or rotis. Helpfully, thick winter jackets help camouflage all the extra weight too 😄. Butter Chicken, possibly is the most ordered dish at most Indian eateries. However, what is a body that doesn’t eat butter and certainly no meat to do… Replicating the sauce was the easy bit with a dash of tomato ketchup and coconut cream saving the day. Then, I found Vegan Chicken nuggets in the local Asian store, that could be added to stir fries, rice and……. Vegan Butter Not Chicken!
- Onion, large – 1
- Garlic cloves, peeled – 6
- Ginger, peeled – 1″
- Turmeric, fresh root – 1″
- Tomato paste – 1/2 cup
- Tomato ketchup – 1/2 cup
- Coconut cream (not milk) – 3/4 cup
- Roasted Vegan chicken nuggets – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Almonds, sliced – 12
- Fried onions – 2 tablespoons
- Grind the onion, garlic cloves, ginger and turmeric together with 2 teaspoons of water to get a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed deep pan and add the above paste. Cook on low heat till the raw smells goes away.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Slowly mix in the tomato ketchup and cook on low heat until the sauce starts to bubble up.
- Pour in the coconut cream and whisk well.
- Toss the roasted vegan chicken pieces until well coated and take off the heat.
Garnish with sliced almonds and fried onions before serving with hot Naan bread. Enjoy!