Every now and then, on a cold wintry night everyone craves warm, spicy, comforting food that is quickly rustled up. This tomato flavoured rice pulao ticks all these boxes. Tastes perfect accompanied by plantain chips and some hot green chillies pickles! I have always been a fan of pressure cooking due to the reduced cooking time and efficient energy usage. Using Basmati Rice that has been soaked for 3 – 4 hours brings down the cooking time drastically, making for a quick recipe.
- Basmati Rice, soaked – 2 cups
- Mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, beans, peas & cauliflower florets) – 1 cup
- Onion, sliced finely – 1 medium
- Ginger, minced – 2″ piece
- Tomatoes, chopped finely – 2 medium
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chillies, minced finely – 1 to 2
- Turmeric root, minced finely – 1/2″ piece
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds. Cover the pan as the seeds tend to splutter all about!
- Add the onion, curry leaves, ginger and turmeric. Roast until golden.
- Mix in the tomatoes and green chillies. Cook until soft.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and mix well.
- Slowly mix the rice and coat well in the vegetable – spice mixture.
- Cover with water until all the rice is submerged.
- Season with salt before clipping the lid.
- Cook at full pressure for 3 minutes and allow to cool by itself.
Serve hot with desired pickles and salad. Crunchy pappadums and plaintain chips also go well. Please chime in with your favourite pressure cooker recipes in the comments below 😊