Ivy Gourd (Tendli in my mother tongue) is a mild, sweetish tasting vegetable that is used in stir fries, gravies and rice based dishes called “Pulao or Bhaat”. This unassuming vegetable was discovered by the gorgeous Dolly of the Kool Kosher Kitchen a few days ago, who invited me to put up a traditional dish featuring Ivy Gourd. My mother used to make this with fresh gourd but, I could only find the frozen version after looking in a fair, few places!
This quick preparation of rice, Ivy gourd and spices transforms into an exciting main meal prepared under 30 minutes in my trusty pressure cooker. This pulao tastes best with some vegan yogurt and Pappadums!
- Ivy Gourd, sliced – 1.5 cups
- Basmati Long Grain Rice – 1.5 cups ( soaked for 1 hour, rinsed and drained)
- Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom, green – 4 to 5
- Cinnamon stick – 2″ piece
- Cloves – 4
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric, powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 10 to 12
- Bay leaf – 1 large
- Green Chillies, minced – 2
- Onion, sliced – 1 medium
- Ginger root, minced – 2″ piece
- Garlic Clove, minced – 1
- Dessicated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a pressure cooker pan, add the cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, bay leaf, dessicated coconut and asafoetida. Roast until golden on a medium flame.
- To above spice mix add sliced onions and stir until golden. Tip in the ginger and garlic, cook until the raw smell goes off and onions start to look golden.
- Add the Ivy Gourd and coat well in the spice mixture.
- Lastly mix in the rice and sauté on a medium flame for a few minutes.
- Add 2.5 cups of hot water and salt to taste, mix well. Cover the pressure cooker pan with a lid and cook on medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Take off the heat, release the pressure.
Sprinkle dessicated coconut on the top of the rice before serving! Please tell me what your favourite rice and veggie combination is in the comments below 😀