Mushrooms are one of my favourite vegetables and get cooked in one form or, another every week. The high protein content also makes them perfect for little growing bodies. Their ability to cook quickly and, take on flavours, make for a rich gravy to eat with rice and rotis in the middle of winter. This is another of my favourite pressure cooker recipes needing only 15 minutes of cooking time. The only downside being, I have to make great quantities as, it vanishes rather quickly and mysteriously!
- Mushrooms, sliced – 4 cups
- Potatoes, finely diced – 1 cup
- Coconut Oil – 1 tablespoon (substitute for another vegetable oil, if desired)
- Onions, sliced thinly -2 medium
- Garlic Cloves, minced – 2 teaspoons
- Ginger root, minced – 2″ piece
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Dessicated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, chopped – 2 medium
- Water – 1 cup, may not need all
- Salt, to taste
- Fenugreek Leaves, chopped – 1/4 cup
For the spice paste, grind together
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Dried Red Chillies – 3 to 4
- Green Cardamom – 4 whole
- Black Cardamom – 1 whole
- Cloves – 5 pods
- Peppercorns, black – 10 to 12
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Heat coconut oil in a deep pressure pan and fry the thinly sliced onions until brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and Dessicated coconut and sauté on slow heat.
- Add in the curry leaves and mix well.
- Stir in the spice mix and mix well.
- Mix in the tomatoes and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Tip in the potatoes and coat well in the above mixture. Add water if necessary and cook for 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the sliced mushrooms into the mixture.
- Season with salt, add 1/2 cup of water and close the lid.
- Pressure cook on high for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Release pressure immediately and stir in the fenugreek leaves.
- Allow the flavours to mingle for a couple of minutes.
Serve hot with steamed rice or flatbread bread/ Rotis. Enjoy!
Please tell me what your favourite mushroom recipe is in the comments below 😊