My love for tea, specially spicy Chai is well known. In my quest to come up with the perfect vegan Chai Latte mix, I’ve been experimenting with different plant based milks and, spice: tea ratios.This recipe is perfect for my family as, we are all Chai Latte fans! Using whipped coconut cream on top of the drink lends a beautiful mouthfeel, making this drink perfect for cold wintry mornings.
Chai Latte Spice Mix –
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Green Cardamom Seeds, powdered – 1 tablespoon
- Dry Ginger Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Cloves, powdered – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds, powdered – 2 teaspoons
- Nutmeg Powder – 1 teaspoon
- White Peppercorns, powdered – 1 teaspoon
Store in an airtight glass jar. Makes approximately 1/2 cup.
To to brew the tea we need,
- Warm Water – 2 cups
- Strong Black Tea Bags – 2
- Chai Latte Spice Mix – 2 tablespoons
- Sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 2 teaspoons coconut sugar)
- Non Dairy Milk – 1 cup (I used my trusty Soy Milk Powder)
- Coconut Cream, whipped – 2 tablespoons
- Mix the spice mix in water and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the tea bags and sweetener of choice.
- Whisk in the non dairy milk and bring to a boil. Take off the heat and let the spices and tea steep in the milk.
- Pour the Chai into cups and top with whipped coconut cream and a pinch of Chai Latte Spice mix to serve.
I’m wondering if anyone else shares my fascination with tea and tea based drinks? If so, please join in the comments below 😊