This is a quick weeknight recipe that combines frozen fenugreek greens with yellow split mung beans flavoured with heaps of ginger to make a warming meal that’s just right with rice or, rotis. My pressure cooker helps make this a one pot quick meal.
- Yellow Split Mung Beans, soaked and rinsed – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Red Chillies – 2 to 3
- Garlic Cloves, flattened whole – 2
- Ginger, cut into matchsticks – 3″ large pieces
- Tomato Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek Leaves – 2 cups (I used frozen fenugreek cubes)
(If using fresh fenugreek then, rinse thoroughly before chopping to make 2 cups)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves and Stalks, rinsed and chopped finely for garnish – 2 tablespoons (Optional)
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker pan.
- Add cumin seeds and fry until golden brown.
- Throw in the red chillies, ginger matchsticks and flattened garlic. Cook until aromatic.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until the raw smell disappears (3 to 5 minutes).
- Stir in the fenugreek frozen cubes.
- Mix in the rinsed mung beans and add turmeric. Coat well in the spice mixture.
- Season with salt and add the water.
- Clip on the lid and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let the cooker cool.
- Open the lid and mix contents well.
Garnish with coriander leaves and a lemon wedge if desired. Tastes awesome accompanied by steamed Brown Basmati Rice.