These delicious little steamed sweet morsels are a low fat, quick fix for afternoon tea and dessert. They take about 15 minutes to prepare and another, 15 minutes to cook. These can be topped with nuts, raisins, dates, sprinkles or, even chocolate chips. The flavouring varies from powdered green cardamom seeds to vanilla essence. I remember my mother adding saffron strands sometimes to colour them orange.
- Fine Semolina – 1 cup
- Dessicated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Soy Milk – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla Essence or, Powdered Green Cardamom Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Heat water in a large vessel for steaming and spray the Idli Moulds (used here) with non stick spray.
- Sieve together the fine semolina, dessicated coconut, xylitol and baking soda.
- Whisk in the cupful of soy milk, vanilla essence and oil until no lumps remain.
- Drop the batter by the spoonful into the moulds.
- Add desired toppings, in this case sprinkles!
- Steam for 12 – 15 minutes and carefully remove the moulds from the pot of hot water.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before sliding out with a spatula.
Serve warm or, store in a covered box till ready to eat. These last quite well in lunch boxes too. Enjoy!