My love for steamed savoury cakes is rather well known! This delicious breakfast recipe was popular when I was growing up as the batter is soaked the previous night and total preparation time is hardly 15 minutes. A few minutes of steaming the fermented batter the next morning yields these addictive morsels that are healthy and filling.
- Rice Flour – 2 cups
- Skinned Split Black (Urad Dal) Flour -1/2 cup
- Warm Water – 3 cups
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper, ground – 2 teaspoons
- Salt, to taste
- Whisk the dry flours and salt together until well mixed.
- Add in the warm water and whisk well to make a smooth batter.
- Set aside in a warm place overnight (10 – 12 hours) to ferment and rise.
- Mix in the ginger garlic paste and black pepper into the batter the next morning and stir gently.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a large steamer and spray 5″ round pans with non stick spray and pour batter until it fills half the pan. (Do not be tempted to fill in any more as the batter rises and expands as it cooks!)
- Steam the batter for 10 – 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take off the heat and cool for 5 – 10 minutes, before cutting into square or diamond shapes.
Great to eat warm or cold, make excellent lunch box allergy free treats to snack on. Enjoy!