An abundance of fresh spring produce inspired this quick flatbread recipe. These delicious flat bread or “Paratha” are quick to assemble and the grated carrots help cut out the oil. I grated the carrots by hand but, by all means add the carrot and coriander to a food processor and process until chunky. The warm water helps make a softer dough and the dough is much easier to work with after resting for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Carrots, grated – 2
- Fresh Coriander, finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Wholemeal Flour – 2 cups
- Gram/ Chickpea Flour – 1 cup
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoons
- Green Chilli – 1
- Salt, to taste
- Warm Water – 1.5 to 2 cups
- Dry Flour for rolling
- Mix the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Create a large well and add the grated carrots, minced chilli, chopped coriander and ginger – garlic paste in the middle.
- Toss salt to season. Combine all of these and knead into a soft dough adding warm water as required.
- Allow the dough to rest while heating a thick bottomed pan (I used my cast iron skillet). Divide the dough into lemon sized balls and roll out each ball into a circle of 6″ diameter, after dredging in some dry flour.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown.
Store in a clean tea towel lined box, serve warm with a tangy pickle or, coconut yogurt!