Everytime I opened the fridge there was a big head of broccoli looking at me hopefully. I should also add there was some cacao powder peeking from behind it! There’s this chocolate – cauliflower cake that’s been making rounds recently, leading me to idly wonder how chocolate and broccoli would be together… It’s time to experiment I say, armed with a mixing bowl, chopper, whisk and springform cake pan!
- Broccoli Florets – 2 cups
- Xylitol – 3/4 cup
- Organic Cacao Powder – 1/2 cup
- Soy Milk – 3/4 cup
- Self Raising Flour – 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and spray a cake pan with non stick spray.
- Process the broccoli florets until finely chopped in the chopper/ food processor (I did leave slightly chunky bits in). Makes a little more than 1 cup. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Mix xylitol in until well mixed.
- Stir in the soy milk until the mixture looks runny.
- Fold in flour in half cup increments to make a thick batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 – 45 minutes or, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 – 15 minutes before inverting onto a cake rack to cool.
Pour melted chocolate over a slightly warm cake and dust with almond flakes as I did or, cool thoroughly and ice as desired! The cake disappeared very, very quickly 😊 Happy baking!