This intense chocolate – cacao combination is a chocolate lover’s dream come true, i.e. mine! These chocolate scones were made for a party, till I found a leftover dark chocolate bar and broke it into pieces to add as garnish… It never did quite leave the kitchen after that! The only thing to watch out for is not to over mix the dough or, handle it too much as that turns the “scones” into “stones”!
- Wholemeal Self Raising Flour – 1.5 cup
- Organic Cacao Powder – 1/2 cup
- Coconut Sugar, powdered finely – 2/3 cup
- Vegan Non Dairy Spread (Nuttelex) – 1/2 cup
- Almond/ Coconut Milk, cold – 1/2 cup
- Dark Chocolate Pieces/ Chips – 2 tablespoons
- Line a large baking sheet with nonstick paper and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add the Nuttelex into the flour mix gently mixing with a fork until the mixture resembles large bread crumbs.
- Gently stir in spoonfuls of cold almond milk with the fork until the dough just about comes together.
- Transfer dough carefully on to the prepared baking sheet in a roughly round or, oval shape.
- Carefully divide the dough into large wedges or squares.
- Quickly sprinkle with chocolate chunks, press in with the fork.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven till golden brown.
- Rest for 5 minutes in the warm oven before taking out.
Serve warm drizzled with maple syrup and a hot drink. Happy baking 😊