This quick “Sundal” or, “Usli” recipe uses canned kidney beans and desiccated coconut to make a quick protein-rich stir fry flavoured with some ginger, asafoetida, turmeric, curry leaves and mustard seeds. Tastes great by itself or, with extra chopped veggies as a salad lunch. Not using onion and garlic helps increase the shelf life of this delicious dish.
- Kidney Beans – 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Black Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Curry Leaves, torn roughly – 5 to 6
- Fresh Ginger Root, minced – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt, to season
- Desiccated Coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli, sliced – 1 (Optional for garnishing)
- In a thick skillet, heat the coconut oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook until they pop.
- Take off the heat and add the ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and add the rinsed and drained kidney beans. Season with salt.
- Set back on the hob and cook on a slow flame until everything is well mixed.
Sprinkle with desiccated coconut and the sliced chilli before serving. Happy cooking!