“Chakli” or, “Murukku” are spiral savoury crisp pretzel-like crisps that are great to snack on. There is another post that is for a baked recipe containing rice and lentil flour here. This time around I was experimenting with using no oil and trying out the Air Fryer as a quicker way of making these moreish bites, when I discovered that I was out of lentil flour! This 4 ingredient recipe comes together just under 30 minutes including 14 minutes of air frying time.
4 Ingredient Chakli – Vegan, Oil & Gluten Free
(A delicious crisp pretzel like spiky biscuit with no oil and gluten.)
- Fine Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Ice Cold Water – approximately 1/2 cup (I needed a few teaspoons short of half a cup)
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Add the flour, salt and chilli powder in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add the ice cold water by the spoonful to make a pliable dough.
- Place the dough into a cookie spritz or “Chakli” press with the star tip.
- Gently pipe out whorls or ribbons if desired, on to squares of baking paper.
- Place this into the air fryer and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Make sure to check from the 12 minute mark as the rice flour tends to burn and char quite easily.
- Remove from the air fryer basket when golden and cool thoroughly, before storing in an air tight box.
I cut out baking paper squares prior to spritzing out the whorls.
1 cup of rice flour made approximately 20 chakli and I could bake 4 – 5 in the air fryer basket at one go.