Vegan Date Scones
Scones are a popular weekend breakfast and brunch item in most Cafes I’ve been too. Usually containing egg and/or dairy they were on my “No” list for a long time. I then tried numerous attempts at veganising them, with everything from coconut cream to Club soda! These vegan date scones are an easy recipe to make, using everyday pantry ingredients with the goodness of dates and coconut sugar as a sweetener. They are very popular with the little ones as leftovers make luscious lunchbox treats as they are allergy free.
if wishing to leave out the oil and following an oil free diet then using coconut butter or another nut butter work well to substitute the oil while providing flavour and raising the nutritional profile of this recipe.
- Wholemeal Self Raising Flour – 2 cups
- Coconut Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Soy Milk – 3/4 cup
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Dates, chopped – 12 to 14
- Mix the flour and coconut sugar together.
- Fold the chopped dates in and whisk well.
- Stir in the milk and oil with a wooden spoon until sticky and just mixed together.
- Flip the dough over 2-3 times to smoothen.
- Prepare a large tray lined with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Pat the dough gently onto the tray and score into triangles.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
Enjoy the luscious vegan date scones by themselves warm or with a dab of nut butter for added indulgence.
Another option is to eat them topped with cinnamon, or maple syrup, or both as I did!
If you enjoyed trying this quick date recipe than please see here for a delicious quick sweet bread recipe studded with cranberries and absolutely stunning addition to your baking routine.