Eggplants are a family favourite at my place and also, hold the distinction of being one of the few veggies I would eat without a fuss as a child 😊 Unfortunately they aren’t very photogenic once cooked….
Grilled, or baked, or pan roasted, this is a scrumptious way of cooking eggplants to eat with hot Rotis or, to use as a sandwich filling. They taste moreish dredged in a flour and spice mix and appeal to everyone, #NoLeftovers!
To make we need,
- Eggplant, large – 1
- Gram Flour – 1/2 cup
- Hot Red Chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried Raw Mango powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt, to taste
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- In a medium mixing bowl add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric and dried raw mango powder and mix well.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2″ thick rounds and assemble on a large plate/ cutting board.
- Sprinkle the spice mix on one side of the eggplant slices and then turn the slices over to sprinkle the other side.
- Add the gram flour into a deep bowl.
- Heat a thick bottomed flat pan with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Carefully dredge the eggplant slices in the flour and place on the hot pan. The spices cause the eggplant slices to sweat, which makes a batter on dredging it into flour.
- Flip over after 2 minutes on medium heat and, keep an eye on them as they cook quickly.
Enjoy warm as is or, as an accompaniment to a main meal!
Tell me dear readers, what’s your favourite eggplant preparation in the comments below 😊