Vegan Bread Upma (Stirfry)
“Upma” is a traditional breakfast favoured by many across all the states across Southern India. This quick breakfast stuffy can be gluten-free and nut free depending on the ingredients. The formula used is a simple combination of grains, vegetables, spices and herbs. Seasonings and various toppings are added as per taste, just before eating.
Grains commonly used – Semolina, Rice flakes, Oats, Quinoa, Puffed rice, Leftover bread in this case!
Vegetables commonly used – Onions, Green peas, Beans, Broccoli florets, Potatoes, Carrots, Pepper, Tomatoes.
Herbs commonly used – Curry leaves, Coriander, Fenugreek leaves, Shallots, Chillies.
Seasonings commonly used – Turmeric, Asafoetida, Mustard Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Salt, Chilli powder, Lemon juice.
Toppings commonly used – Crisp lentil noodles (Sev), Savoury spice mixtures (Bhuja Mix), Desiccated Coconut flakes, roasted peanuts, and more!
To make Bread Upma we need,
- Leftover Bread slices, cubed – 1.5 cups
- Steamed mixed vegetables – 3/4 cup
- Medium sized Onion, chopped finely – 1
- Green Chillies – 2, optional
- Tomatoes, chopped – 3/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 large sprig
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric, powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a large, deep pan or wok.
- Add the mustard seeds and cover until they sputter.
- Add in chopped onions, green chillies (if using), turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Cook on low until brown.
- Throw the chopped tomatoes and mixed vegetables and cover the wok.
- Mix in the bread pieces towards the end.
- Stir well to coat with spices and vegetables.
- Season with salt and sprinkle lemon juice on top after taking off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving hot.
Commonly used toppings are fried lentil noodles/ sev, roasted peanuts or cashews and tomato ketchup. Enjoy!