One of the biggest advantages of this vegan and gluten free Dhokla recipe is that it can be readied in minutes. While the batter steams, the toppings consisting of mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, sesame seeds, desiccated coconut and chillies (if preferred) can be pan fried.
- Chickpea flour (Besan) – 1 cup
- Water – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Lemonade/ Soda – 1/2 cup
- Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Raw Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Eno Fruit Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mix all the ingredients into a smooth batter except for the Eno Fuit Salt.
- Add water in increments of a tablespoon to make a silky, cake like batter.
- Spray a 7″ cake pan with non stick spray and boil water in a large vessel.
- Add the Eno fruit salt and whisk it through the batter and quickly pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Steam for 12 – 15 minutes and, check if cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle to ensure proper cooking.
While the batter steams, heat oil into a flat pan and add any of the preferred toppings above into the oil. I used curry leaves, asafoetida and dessicated coconut that I had on hand. Pour on top of the steamed cake before cutting into pieces.
Enjoy hot or cold, tastes good either way!