Vegan Basic Vanilla Cake
Every home baker has their favourite recipe for a plain basic vanilla cake. Often overlooked for its more glamorous cousin, the Chocolate Cake for special occasions, this basic recipe lends itself to a myriad uses for flavoured cakes, muffins and cupcakes too. Here’s my vegan vanilla cake recipe, easily made gluten free by using self raising gluten free flour and adjusting the liquid content. Easily doubled or, even tripled for bigger cakes!
• 1.5 cups – Unbleached Self Raising Flour
• 1 Cup – Sugar
• 1 teaspoon – Baking Soda
• 1/2 teaspoon – Salt
• 1/2 Cup – Vegetable Oil
• 1 Cup – Soy Milk
• 3/4 tablespoon – White Vinegar
• 2 teaspoons – Vanilla Essence (I used Queen brand)
- Heat oven to 180°C on fan forced setting.
- Prepare an 8″ cake pan by lining with baking paper and spray non stick spray.
- Dry whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add vegetable oil, soy milk, vinegar and vanilla extract in a separate mixing bowl and whisk until uniform.
- Mix the dry flour mixture into the above wet mixture and stir until no lumps appear and batter is smooth.
- Quickly pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from sides and a skewer inserted in the centre is clean.
- Rest the cake in the pan for 10 – 15 minutes before inverting on to a cooling rack.
- Cool cake for atleast 5 – 6 hours before icing.
If you like this cake recipe please see here for more 😊