Vegan Savoury Semolina Pudding (Rava Upma)
This is a one pot, quick breakfast porridge, no fuss recipe that is ready within half an hour. I often throw in a cup of steamed mixed vegetables to raise the nutritional profile and, also looks colourful! This is an excellent recipe to use for lunch boxes, as it is filling and keeps well.
- Semolina – 3/4 cup
- Coconut Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Onion, chopped finely – 1 medium
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves, torn roughly – 10 to 12
- Green chillies, sliced – 2
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt, to taste
- Desiccated Coconut – 2 tablespoons to sprinkle as garnishing
- Savoury Lentil Noodles or Bhuja Mix, to sprinkle on top
- Lemon Juice, to drizzle on top
- Roast the semolina in a dry thick bottomed pan on a slow flame until lightly golden. Take off the heat and cool in a flat plate for a few minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in the pan above and add mustard seeds. Cover the pan as the seeds pop.
- Turn down the heat and stir in the cumin seeds, onion, curry leaves and green chillies. (If using veggies, this when I add them).
- Add the roasted semolina to the pan and stir well on a low flame.
- Slowly mix in the water, taking care not to let any lumps form.
- Season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes till it reaches a porridge like consistency. Take off the heat.
Garnish the Vegan Savoury Semolina Pudding (Rava Upma) with lemon juice and desiccated coconut. Top with savoury lentil noodles, banana chips or, Bhuja Mix.