Black Lentil Crêpes/ Dosa (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Indian “crêpes” or, savoury pancakes or “Dosa“, are popular as a traditional breakfast dish across all of Southern India. Made by fermenting a rice and lentil batter and, cooked on a flat crepe pan. These delicate crepes are stuffed with all kinds of fillings, I used a spicy potato stir fry from here as a filling. There are many other fillings made up of stir fried cabbage, onions or even plain, with chutney!
This recipe is made by natural fermentation and easy to digest. In addition to this, “Dosa” crepes are
- Oil-Free (if made on a non stick or, well seasoned pan)
- Great on their own or, with fillings for a hearty meal!
- Rice – 2 cups
- Black Split Lentils (Urad Dal) – 1 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil – Few spoons to grease the crepe pan.
- Wash and soak the rice, lentils and fenugreek seeds in water for 6 hours.
- Rinse and drain completely.
- Grind the soaked grains with salt to a thick batter by adding minimal spoonfuls of water.
- Store in a large bowl and allow the batter to ferment in a warm place for 8 – 12 hours. Mine was in the oven, overnight with the light on.
- After atleast 8 hours the batter will have risen, look frothy and bubbly and, smell yeasty.
- Heat a flat round pan on a slow flame and brush with some oil.
- Pour approximately 1/2 cup of batter and spread with a ladle to make a thin, flat pan cake like crepe.
- Cook until golden brown on a medium flame and the edges look crisp.
Enjoy these Black Lentil Crêpes/ Dosa (Vegan & Gluten Free) warm with your choice of filling or, dipped into your favourite chutney or, even with tomato ketchup!