Yesterday’s post Black Lentil Crêpes are one of those popular dishes that are widely made with slight variations across most South Indian homes and also, by restaurants. Of course, the restaurant version is oiler and larger! When the lovely Melanie from the Vegan Flavorista asked about the Spicy Potato filling, I realised that the actual star of the dish had been completely ignored! There are many, many versions of this dish and, my version is by no means the ultimate but, it is tasty, quick and can be whipped up in 10 minutes flat!
- Potatoes, peeled and cubed – 4
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion, chopped – 1 medium
- Ginger, minced – 1″ piece
- Green chillies, minced – 2
- Curry Leaves, torn – 8 to 10
- Tomato, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Warm Water – 1/2 cup
- Coriander Stalks & Leaves, chopped finely – 2 tablespoons
- Salt, to taste
- Boil the cubed potato pieces in the microwave for ~5 to 7 minutes on high.
- In the mean while, heat a deep bottomed pan with oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and cover till they pop.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and stir until golden.
- Mix in the chopped onions, ginger, chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the tomato pieces and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Tip in the turmeric and water, stir well.
- Check if the potato pieces are ready (cooked but firm).
- Add the potato pieces into the spice mix and mix carefully till the potato is covered with the spice paste.
- Season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Take off the heat and garnish with the coriander.
This easy to make recipe is used as a fillings for wraps, sandwiches and of course, “Dosa“! Enjoy 😊