“Kashmiri Rogan Josh”, a name that brings to my memories pristine snow-covered mountains and valleys with breath-taking natural beauty as far as you can see. I haven’t been to Kashmir for several decades now and all my memories are limited to when I was a little girl visiting the absolutely gorgeous landscape. My mother however, did bring back this recipe and made it quite often on colder nights to warm us all up. Authentic Kashmiri Rogan Josh is made without onion or garlic and, more importantly with no tomatoes! The gorgeous red colour actually comes from a herb called Alkanet, widely grown across India and some parts of Europe. I couldn’t find any locally so have substituted with sweet red Paprika. In my recipe, the meat traditionally used has been replaced by cubed vegetables mainly, sweet potatoes and eggplant lightly cooked in the Airfryer. With a gorgeous coconut yogurt and spices gravy, this mouth-watering dish is definitely a keeper!
For the Curry Paste,
- Green Cardamom Pods – 8
- Black Cardamom Pods – 2
- Cinnamon Bark – 2″ piece
- Cloves – 10
- Indian Bay Leaves – 4
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Dried Ginger Root – 1 tablespoon
- Black Pepper Corn – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sweet Red Kashmiri Chillies, whole – 12 or, Sweet Paprika Flakes – 2 tablespoons
- Garam Masala – 2 teaspoons. Click here for my recipe.
- Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Grind the dry spices to a fine powder and then mix in the lemon juice. Store in a glass jar in the fridge until ready to use.
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Rogan Josh Curry Paste - 2 tablespoons
- Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed into 2" pieces - 1 cup
- Eggplant, cubed into 2" pieces - 1 cup
- Coconut Yogurt, whisked - 1.5 cup
- Fresh Coriander Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Cook all the vegetable chunks in the Airfryer until lightly golden for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
- In the mean time, heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add in the paste and cook well.
- Stir in the air fried vegetable pieces and coat well in the spice paste - oil mix.
- Add the whisked coconut yogurt and simmer until the spices infuse into the veggies.
- Take off the heat and mix in Coriander paste.
- Serve warm with steamed rice or, flatbread.
- Other chunky vegetables like mushrooms or zucchini or, even Seitan pieces would taste delicious.
- Authentic Rogan Josh is made without onions, tomatoes or garlic.