Mini Chickpea Flour Omelette
These delicious morsels are also called Chickpea Flour Pancakes/ Besan Pooda/ Cheela.
These savoury little whole food plant based, gluten-free, vegan Omlette or Pancakes or Crepes made of chickpeas flour/ Besan are versatile and delicious by themselves or, with Tomato chutney 😋
Common additions to these savoury pancakes are minced red onions, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, green Chillies sliced finely to nutritional yeast and seasonings sprinkled on the top and cooked on a flat griddle brushed with a mix of tahini butter & water.
This mini chickpea flour omlette recipe is adapted from my dear mother’s recipe. I always have a large jar with chickpeas flour ready to whip these up for breakfast, snacks or packed lunches.
Ingredients for the,
- 3/4 cup Besan/ Chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar or ACV + 3/4 cup Lukewarm Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Salt
- Salt to taste, if required
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, chopped finely
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons Green Shallots, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves & stalks, minced
- Nutritional Yeast
1. Heat a large nonstick pan.
2. Whisk all the ingredients for the batter together until smooth. Consistency should be like pourable pancake batter.
[I let the batter rest while I’m slicing and mincing up the vegetables for topping.]
3. Add all the topping ingredients and gently mix.
4. Drop a large tablespoon full of batter on the heated pan.
5. Cook until golden brown and flip to cook on the other side.
Taste great warm with Tomato chutney or Coriander & Mint chutney.
1. The batter stores well in the fridge for 1 -2 days.
2. Using a nonstick skillet means the omelette doesn’t stick to the pan.
If you liked the Vegan Mini Chickpea Flour Omelette recipe, please see here for more savoury pancake recipes 💚