Vegan Vegetable Puffs
I have memories of eating these puffs for the first time from a bakery close to my father’s office. The flakey light cover encasing the most spicy vegetable mixture that sent me running for a glass of water is something I’ll always remember! Now that I’m several continents away from the little corner bakery that used to churn out these goodies, I make these at home for my family and try to recreate those bygone memories.
- Puff Pastry Sheets – 2
- Onion, finely chopped – 3 tablespoons
- Potatoes, diced & cooked –2 medium
- Carrot, chopped finely – 2 tablespoons
- Green Peas, steamed – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger, minced finely – 1″ piece
- Garlic Clove, minced finely – 4
- Green Chillies, minced finely – 2
- Curry Leaves, chopped finely – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder –1 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander, chopped finely – 2 tablespoons
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Non Stick Spray
- Salt, to taste
- I tend to microwave steam cook the potatoes, carrots and peas while rolling out the puff pastry.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cooked vegetables, herbs and, mix well.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and prepare a baking tray lined with wax paper.
- Using a pastry cutter cut the pastry sheet into 4 squares approximately 5″ wide.
- Place a spoonful of the vegetable mixture in the centre and fold over.
- Seal the edges with a wet fork (fork dipped in a little water).
- Spray the tops with nonstick spray before baking.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Cool before serving as the filling tends to get quite hot! Tomato ketchup and, a cup of tea are perfect accompaniments. These puffs can be frozen up to a month and reheated at 150 degrees C in the Airfryer for 12 – 15 minutes.
Hope you enjoyed reading this Vegan Vegetable Puffs recipe. Please see here for more savoury munchies 😊