Black Eyed Peas Curry
2016 has been declared as the International Year of Pulses by the United Nations! Dried beans/ pulses/ legumes are a great source of protein for vegans. We tend to eat at least 5 varieties a week usually, soaked overnight, and/ or sprouted. Here’s a quick recipe for flavoursome black eyed peas.
- Black Eyed Peas – 1 cup
- Onion, chopped – 1
- Tomato Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies, sliced – 1 to 2 (depending on taste)
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Water – 3 cups
- Coriander Leaves and Stalks, finely minced – 2 tablespoons (for garnishing)
- Soak black eyed pea for at least 6 hours and rinse in clean water.
- In a thick bottomed pan (I used my pressure cooker) heat the oil.
- Coat the pan with oil and add the cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped onion, chilli and ginger garlic paste and, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook well.
- Add in the black eyed peas and coat well in the curry base.
- If using a pressure cooker, add 2.5 cups of water and fasten the lid. Cook on high for approximately 8 – 10 minutes and take off the heat.
- If using an open pan, then add in the 3 cups of water and cook covered until the beans are cooked.
- Uncover the pan and add salt, garam masala and chopped coriander stalks and leaves.
Enjoy the Black Eyed Peas Curry hot with steamed rice or, rotis.