“Burfi” is essentially a sweet fudge that is made during Indian festive celebrations and happy occasions. There are many variation of this fudge made with nuts, different kinds of flours, often with dairy and a lot of fat. This quick fudge variation is not only sugar and oil free but, is also ready under an hour. The saffron strands lend a beautiful colour and gorgeous flavour that is simply enchanting!
- Semolina – 1 cup
- Xylitol – 2/3 cup (Increase or decrease depending on desired sweetness)
- Saffron, strands – 1/2 teaspoon
- Water – 1 + 1/2 cup
- Non stick spray to grease the plate
- Flaked Almonds – 2 tablespoons (optional for garnishing)
- Dry roast the semolina until aromatic in a thick bottomed pan.
- In the mean while mix Xylitol with 1 cup of water.
- Dissolve the saffron in the remaining 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the xylitol syrup to the roasted semolina. Cook on low heat until resembling thick batter.
- Stir in the saffron syrup and stir well to ensure no lumps form.
- The fudge is ready when it leaves the sides of the pan and resembles the consistency of thick dough.
- Spray a flat plate or, slice pan depending on desired thickness of the fudge, with non stick spray.
- Take off the heat and spread into the prepared plate/ pan.
- Smoothen the top and press flaked almonds on.
- Cut into diamond shaped pieces and cool in the fridge for half hour to set.
This fudge stores well in the fridge for a few days, if it lasts that long! Happy cooking 😊