Every now and then, we lapse into cold, windy and dreary weather despite, every marketing catalogue loudly proclaiming spring! This lovely golden hued brown Basmati rice is a steady favourite on nippy evenings with the flavours of Fennel, Mustard, Carom and Cumin Seeds, peeking through in every warm spoonful. Tastes just perfect with a hearty Daal and a quick salad perfect for a weeknight.
Turmeric Spiced Brown Basmati Rice
(Gluten & nut free, wholegrain recipe)
- 2 cups Brown Basmati Rice, soaked and rinsed 5 – 6 times or, until the water runs clear
- 1 teaspoon Rice Bran Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Carom Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 4 – 5 cups of warm water
- Heat a deep pan and coat with oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and cover the pan and cook on high heat until the seeds pop.
- Roast the remaining spices until aromatic.
- Mix in the rice and add salt to taste.
- Add water and cover the pan. Cook on a slow heat until the rice grains are cooked and fluffy. (Pre-soaked Basmati rice that I used cooked in 25 minutes. Adjust cooking times depending on the age of the rice and soaking time).