Vegan month of food continues into week 3 of October with innovative themes- “Ingredient challenges”. One of my favourite ingredients to use in everyday cooking is Turmeric. The challenge inspired me to make – my – own deconstructucted Turmeric Latte mix which is all the rage in cafes here at the moment. Growing up in an Indian household, milk + Turmeric with a dash of jaggery syrup called “Haldi Doodh” was a warm comforting drink that was always there to clutch in my little hands for a variety of problems from insomnia to the beginning of a cold, or bruises and body aches that came with being a little too clumsy on the day. Talking to my mother while sipping a warm glass of “Haldi Doodh“ was the panacea to most of my childhood problems 🙂
Carrying the tradition forward, I now make fresh Turmeric root paste with a dash of black pepper, green cardamom, cinnamon, plus coconut sugar to mix into almond milk for a comforting drink for my little ones. The husband & I prefer to leave out the sweetener and whizz warm Almond Milk with my Turmeric Latte blend for a pre-bedtime drink. Grinding fresh Turmeric means covering most work surfaces, as light coloured work surfaces tend to stain a golden-yellow hue!
Turmeric Latte – Ingredient Challenge
Vegan; Gluten-free; Sugar-free.
- 1/3 cup Fresh Turmeric Root, peeled & chopped
- 4 Black Peppercorn seeds
- 2 Green Cardamom Pods
- 1 inch Cinnamon Quill
- 1 cup Almond Milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon Sweetener, optional
- Lightly roast the black peppercorn, cardamom and cinnamon in a dry pan. Cool.
- Grind the spices to a fine powder.
- Add fresh turmeric root into the grinder jar and grind to a fine paste.
- Store in an air tight glass jar up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To use, blend 1 heaped teaspoon into 1 cup of warm Almond milk until frothy and golden. Add 1 teaspoon of Xylitol or powdered Coconut sugar, to sweeten if desired.
- Best enjoyed warm wrapped up in a rug while curled up on a comfortable couch.
This paste works well blend into some coconut oil to use in savoury recipes or sweet dishes like my