This cake was made for a landmark anniversary party. Made up of scrumptious layers of chocolate cake sandwiched with coconut cream and cherries. This cake is vegan but, not the lowest in calories! I used the bottled version of Morello Cherries in syrup as they are already pitted. The white sugar in the local shops is vegan and, has been used in this cake.
For the cake we need,
- Self Raising Flour – 3 cups
- Cocoa Powder – 3/4 cup
- White Sugar – 1 cup
- Vegetable Shortening – 1 cup (I used Nuttelex)
- Morello Cherries, drained and lightly mashed – 4 tablespoons
- Cherry Syrup – 1/4 cup (optional, provides a deeper flavour)
- Soy Milk – 1/2 cup
- White Vinegar – 2 teaspoons
- Cherry Essence – 2 teaspoons
For the cream layer we need,
- Coconut Cream – 2 cups
- Arrowroot Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Icing Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Morello Cherries, drained- 5 tablespoons
For the garnishing:
- Cherries – 7 to 8
- Grated dark chocolate (I used a frozen Green & Blacks bar)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a 8″ round cake pan.
- Mix the soy milk and vinegar well until curdled.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa and sugar in a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Mix the wet mixture with the dry mixture.
- Add the cherries and the slowly fold the flour mixture in.
- Whisk well until there no lumps left.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or a toothpick inserted in the centre is clean.
- Cool the cake completely before slicing into half to get 2 layers.
The Cherry Coconut Cream:
- Stir together the coconut cream, icing sugar and arrowroot powder until smooth.
- Bring to a slow boil while whisking constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Add in the chopped cherries and mix well.
Assembling the cake,
- Set one layer of the cake on the base. I sprinkled a few spoonfuls of the syrup on the surface of the cake.
- Spread half the coconut cherry cream mixture on the cake.
- Place the second layer of cake on top.
- Spread the remaining cream on top of the cake reserving, about 5 tablespoons in a piping bag. Sprinkle the grated chocolate.
- Allow the cake to set for a bit. I placed the cake in the fridge for 40 minutes.
- Once the cream layer sets, pipe 5 – 7 rosettes on top of the cream layer.
- Place a cherry on each rosette.
Chill until ready to slice and serve! Enjoy 😊
This recipe is being sent off to Healthy Vegan Fridays, an awesome link up party that I’ve been following for some time for the plant based goodness!