“Diwali”, the Festival of Lights, celebrated to mark the victory of good over evil. Celebrated as a week-long festival venerating wealth, nature, family, prosperity and abundance, little lamps/ candles are lit along the perimeter of the house, light decorations are put up around the main door and intricate drawings called “Rangoli” are drawn on the floor. Festival food consisting of sweet and savoury versions occupy an important spot in everyone’s heart. A very Happy Diwali to everyone celebrating this joyous occasion 🏵!
Apples are naturally sweet and cook beautifully into a luscious paste, thickened with almond flour for this pudding. I chopped up half the apples and puréed the rest for a grainy consistency. Roasting the apple pieces gives this dessert a beautiful golden colour and, a rich apple caramel flavour. The flavour definitely improves with time and the pudding tastes great warm or, cold.
- Red Delicious Apples – 4 (2 finely chopped & 2 puréed)
- Almond Flour – 1/2 cup
- Almond Milk – 1 cup
- Coconut Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Roasted Almonds, chopped – 1 tablespoon (optional for garnishing)
- Heat the coconut oil in a thick bottomed deep pan.
- Add the apple pieces and roast until golden.
- Mix in the apple purée into the pan on low heat.
- Gradually add almond flour by the spoonful to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the almond milk and cook on a low flame until the mixture comes together and leaves the sides.
Serve warm or cold with desired toppings! I topped mine with “Thandai” syrup. Happy cooking 😊