Vegan Onion Rings
Onion rings seem to be all the rage in finger food these days. I like them because, the taste is very reminiscent of “Pakoras”! These are baked in the air fryer, I’m sure an oven would work perfectly too, because I’ve Fry – O – Phobia (yes, I just made the word up!!)
- White Onion, cut into 3/4″ rings – 1 large
- Soy Milk – 1 cup
- White Vinegar – 1/2 tablespoon
- Self Raising Flour – 3/4 cup
- Chickpeas Flour – 1/2 cup
- Semolina – 1/4 cup
- Water, cold – 1/2 cup
- Panko Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Garlic Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Soak the onion rings in a bowl with soy milk and vinegar. Leave to sweat for 45 minutes.
- Drain the onions and place in the freezer to crisp up and stop them from sweating further.
- Preserve the soy milk – vinegar mixture and whisk in chickpea flour and semolina.
- Add salt and black pepper to this mixture.
- Whisk in the self raising flour and add very little water if necessary, to make a thick and, rather sticky batter.
- Pour bread crumbs in another mixing bowl separately.
- Dip the semi – frozen onion rings into the batter and dredge in the bread crumbs. At this stage, I tend to put them in a cookie tray and, freeze in a single layer for atleast an hour for the flavours to meld or, until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, add in a single layer to the Air Fryer (mine takes 7 – 8 rings).
- If baking in the oven, preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and place in a single layer on a flat baking tray brushed with oil.
- Air fry/ bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown, aromatic and crisp. If baking, in the oven, flip over around the 15 minute mark and cook the other side for another 10 minutes.
These vegan onion rings taste excellent by themselves or with some tomato – mustard sauce!
Please tell me what your current favourite finger food is, in the comments below 😊 Thanks!