These savoury, crisp, moreish pretzel like pieces have always been my favourite snack. My mother used to make great quantities and store in large steel box to nibble on. Traditionally these are deep fried however, baking works perfectly well too!
To make them we need,
- Gram Flour – 1/2 cup
- Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
- Semolina – 1/4 cup
- Vegetable Margarine – 4 tablespoons
- Warm Water – 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds (optional) – 1 teaspoon
- Carom Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Sift the dry ingredients together to mix well and add the seeds and spices.
- Rub the margarine slowly till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Gradually add spoonfuls of warm water kneading constantly to get a soft dough.
- Leave the dough to rest covered while, the oven heats to 200 degrees Celsius on fan forced setting. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Spritz out whorls of the dough straight onto the tray.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius until golden brown.
Cool completely before storing in an air tight box. Enjoy!!