Everytime I opened the fridge there was a big head of broccoli looking at me hopefully. I should also add there was some cacao powder peeking from behind it! There’s this chocolate – cauliflower cake that’s been making rounds recently, leading me to idly wonder how chocolate and broccoli would be together… It’s time to experiment I say, armed with a mixing bowl, chopper, whisk and springform cake pan!
- Broccoli Florets – 2 cups
- Xylitol – 3/4 cup
- Organic Cacao Powder – 1/2 cup
- Soy Milk – 3/4 cup
- Self Raising Flour – 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and spray a cake pan with non stick spray.
- Process the broccoli florets until finely chopped in the chopper/ food processor (I did leave slightly chunky bits in). Makes a little more than 1 cup. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Mix xylitol in until well mixed.
- Stir in the soy milk until the mixture looks runny.
- Fold in flour in half cup increments to make a thick batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 – 45 minutes or, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 – 15 minutes before inverting onto a cake rack to cool.
Pour melted chocolate over a slightly warm cake and dust with almond flakes as I did or, cool thoroughly and ice as desired! The cake disappeared very, very quickly 😊 Happy baking!
25 replies to “Vegan Chocolate Broccoli Cake (Oil Free)”
Is this combination even possible!!!
I’m amazed 😀
Your an amazing cook trying out different combinations!
WE need varieties in life and your blog teaches a lot in that sense.
Thank you 😊 Hope you can try it out sometime..
I am afraid I won’t be able to make this as good as it’s here 😀
But I’ll try though 🙂
I like broccoli, I like chocolate .. would never have thought of combining the two! Love your creativity.
Thank you 😊 The combination is really good. My little one was initially hesitant but had to be forcibly separated from the cake box 😛
Crazy! That’s what one of the last things I would think to add to a cake.
Thanks, hehe 😄 It’s a unusual combination all right!
Ps I really don’t like xylitol 😬
Stevia, coconut sugar or raw sugar would work equally well 😊
What an unusual combination! It looks lovely. The video doesn’t seem to be there 🙁
Thanks 😊 will chase the video after I’m home, thank you for letting me know 🤔
Broccoli cake? Out of the box thinking😊… looks great😊
Thank you 😊
I LOVE THIS
Thank you 😊 Hope you can try it out soon!
What a creative idea! In my baking, I’ve tried all the usual veggies: zucchini, avocado, carrots, and black beans. I never would have thought of using broccoli though! I’m curious to try this now.
Thank you 😊 Would love yo see your version 🙂
I was looking for oil free cake recipe! This looks great! Lovely recipe!
Thanks Payel 😊 Hope you’ll try it out soon!
Sure I will!
This looks so good 🙂
Thank you 😊
Comments are closed.