Welcome to my new home!
“Thandai” is a delectable drink made with powdered almonds, spices and saffron for festive occasions and served at weddings as a welcome drink. Usually made by reducing full cream dairy milk, I’ve substituted almond milk which provides a gorgeous texture to this drink, most non dairy milks work just as well. The dry spice mix stores well in the refrigerator up to 3 months.
For the dry spice mix –
- White Poppy Seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Green Fennel Seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Almonds – 2 tablespoons
- Green Cardamom Pods – 1/2 tablespoon
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tablespoon
- Saffron Strands – 4 to 5
To serve –
Almond Milk – 1 cup + 2 heaped teaspoons of above spice mix
Sweetener Of Choice – 1 heaped teaspoon per cup
- Dry grind the spice mix ingredients into a fine powder and store in an air tight glass jar in the fridge.
- To assemble, add 2 heaped teaspoons of the spice mix and sweetener per cup of almond milk and bring to a gentle boil.