Red Finger Millet has been used traditionally in South Indian cooking due to its high Iron and Calcium content. My mother used to make porridge and pancakes out of malted finger millet flour when I was younger. For special occasions, festivals or celebrations, sweet little round balls or, “Laddoos”, were made out of roasted flour and sugar mixed with nuts and dried fruits. This cookie recipe is inspired by the Laddoos, I grew up eating.
- Red Finger Millet flour – 2 cups
- Raw Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil, melted – 3/4 cup
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Dry whisk the flour, raw sugar, cinnamon powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- Make small golf sized balls out of the dough and place on prepared baking tray at least a finger width apart to bake as, these spread quite a bit!
- Bake in a preheated oven at 165 degrees C for 12 – 15minutes.
Cool, before removing from the tray. Enjoy with a hot or, cold beverage!