2016 has been declared as the International Year of Pulses by the United Nations! Dried beans/ pulses/ legumes are a great source of protein for vegans. We tend to eat at least 5 varieties a week usually, soaked overnight, and/ or sprouted. Here’s a quick recipe for flavoursome black eyed peas.
- Black Eyed Peas – 1 cup
- Onion, chopped – 1
- Tomato Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies, sliced – 1 to 2 (depending on taste)
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Water – 3 cups
- Coriander Leaves and Stalks, finely minced – 2 (for garnishing)
- Soak black eyed pea for at least 6 hours and rinse in clean water.
- In a thick bottomed pan (I used my pressure cooker) heat the oil.
- Coat the pan with oil and add the cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped onion, chilli and ginger garlic paste and, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook well.
- Add in the black eyed peas and coat well in the curry base.
- If using a pressure cooker, add 2.5 cups of water and fasten the lid. Cook on high for approximately 8 – 10 minutes and take off the heat.
- If using an open pan, then add in the 3 cups of water and cook covered until the beans are cooked.
- Uncover the pan and add salt, garam masala and chopped coriander stalks and leaves.
Enjoy hot with steamed rice or, rotis. So, tell me what your favourite beans and lentils are in the comments below 😄