My vegan sweet potato Cheez Sauce is made with… sweet potatoes! Most home recipes for vegan cheese use nuts which are no good for our school lunch boxes. Vegan cheese/ “Cheez” is not particularly cheap or available easily where I live. Once in a while, I might stumble into a vegan grocery store where overpriced (and over processed) vegan cheese in the form of slices or blocks awaits me! The worst bit in my opinion is the humongous amounts of packaging used. I do buy Bio Cheese in its grated form at one of the specialty supermarkets half an hours drive from my place as an occasional indulgence but use it in a really measured way.
This Cheez Sauce is great as a dip, just whisk in some olive oil and warm water, as a Cheez sauce for pizza base or, drizzled over pasta. Keeps well refrigerated up to a week.
- Sweet Potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed - 1 cup
- Nutritional Yeast - 2/3 cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Salt, to taste
- Capers/ Olives/ Red Chillies, finely sliced - 2 tablespoons (Optional to add in flavour)
- Take the boiled, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes in a big bowl and dump the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Scoop into a tightly lidded glass jar and store in the fridge up to a week.