Middle Eastern food is one of my favorites not just to eat, but also prepare. This baked falafel recipe uses no oil, is gluten free and can be made sesame seed free too. Perfect to dunk into creamy Hummus/ Hoummus, to layer in a sandwich or, use in salads. The total time required from start to finish is under an hour. I’ve used canned chickpeas which maybe substituted with dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and rinsed well before cooking.
- Canned Chickpeas, drained – 1 can (~400 grams)
- Garlic Cloves, peeled – 3 to 4
- Parsley, finely chopped – 1/3 cup (packed)
- Coriander Seeds – 1 heaped teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 heaped teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1 level teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – 2 teaspoons (Omit in case of nut allergies & for school lunches)
- Salt, to taste
- Non Stick Spray, optional
- Gently roast the dry spices – Coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorns. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Add the chickpeas and garlic to your food processor bowl and process until coarse in consistency. Empty into a mixing bowl.
- Dump spice powder, salt, parsley and baking powder. Mix and knead well. Set aside for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a flat tray with baking paper.
- Take a tablespoonful of the mixture and roll into round, slightly flattened balls. If the mix feels sticky then moisten palms with some water.
- Place the falafel balls on the prepared tray approximately 2″ away from each other. Spray with nonstick spray, if desired.
- Bake at 180 – 200 degrees Celsius for 15 – 18 minutes or, until golden brown.
Eat hot or warm with Hummous or, plain. Happy cooking 😊