Lamingtons are essential Aussie icons served at morning and afternoon tea time particularly at Anzac Day celebrations. I loved the idea of chocolate layered with coconut encasing cake right away. How can chocolate and cake ever, not be good for me?!
Vegan White Sponge Cake – 1
Chocolate Icing – 1.5 cups
Desicated Coconut Flakes – 1 cup
For the Cake, I used –
- Self Raising Flour – 2 cups
- Raw Sugar, powdered – 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 1.5 teaspoons
- Soy Milk, room temperature – 1 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil – 5 tablespoons
Bake the cake,
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a square 8″ cake tin.
2. Sift together all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar & baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
3. Make a well in the center and add vegetable oil, vanilla & soy milk.
4. Mix thoroughly for atleast 5 minutes by hand. I used the whisk attachment on my mixer for 4 minutes.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
6. Bake at 175 degrees C for 20 to 25 minutes. Check with a skewer inserted in the center to check if done.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely.
In the mean time mix together,
- Cocoa – 1/2 cup
- Icing sugar – 1 cup
- Warm water – 1 – 2 tablespoons to make a a runny chocolate dip.
Cut the cooled cake into squares and keep a flat plate ready with lots of Coconut Flakes.
Use a fork to coat the cake pieces with the chocolate mixture first.
Roll them next in the coconut flakes till well covered and then, set them on to dry on a flat surface.