The first time I ate this delicious eggplant in peanut butter dish, was at an Malay restaurant where this was one of the completely vegan items on their menu. Needless to say, I was hooked from my first spoon and just couldn’t stop eating it. The steamed eggplant tasted heavenly enveloped in their hot and spicy peanut sauce. I decided to recreate this dish at home by substituting the peanut butter with Sunflower butter making an allergy free dish for everyone’s enjoyment.
- Eggplant, cut into wedges – Either 1 medium sized or, 6 small ones
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Cloves, minced- 5 to 6
- Scallions, sliced thinly – 1/2 cup
- Sunflower Butter – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Soy Sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Lime Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Coconut Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli, sliced finely – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Fried Shallots to sprinkle on top – optional, but highly recommended
- Steam the eggplant in a microwave steamer for 5 – 6 minutes.
- In the meanwhile blend together, the sunflower butter, soy sauce, lime juice, coconut sugar and red chillies.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add the garlic. Cook until aromatic.
- Stir in the scallions and cook until just wilted.
- Mix in the sauce with the above.
- Add the eggplant pieces and coat with the sauce.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 4 – 5 minutes.
Garnish with fried shallots to serve. We ate ours with Schezwan Noodles 😊 Enjoy!