Scones are a popular weekend breakfast and brunch item in most Cafes I’ve been too. Usually containing egg and/or dairy they were on my “No” list for a long time. I then tried numerous attempts at veganising them, with everything from coconut cream to Club soda! This recipe is popular with the little ones as leftovers make luscious lunchbox treats as they are allergy free.
- Wholemeal Self Raising Flour – 2 cups
- Coconut Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Soy Milk – 3/4 cup
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Dates, chopped – 12 to 14
- Mix the flour and coconut sugar together.
- Fold the chopped dates in and whisk well.
- Stir in the milk and oil with a wooden spoon until sticky and just mixed together.
- Flip the dough over 2-3 times to smoothen.
- Prepare a large tray lined with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Pat the dough gently onto the tray and score into triangles.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
Enjoy warm topped with cinnamon, or maple syrup, or both as I did!