Avoiding processed food and white sugar has been an ongoing theme in our household for the past few years. I’ve started to reduce plain sugar and substitute with alternatives like Coconut sugar, Xylitol and Stevia in recent times.
Medjool dates are naturally sweet and high in energy and fibre, making them a perfect post- workout snack or, a healthy sweet snack for little ones to nibble on after dinner.
To make these I used,
- Walnut pieces – 20
- Fresh Medjool dates – 20
- Rice bran oil – 1 teaspoon
- Pink Himalayan salt, ground – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coat the walnuts in a teaspoon of Rice bran oil and spread on a flat baking tray. Sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Roast the salted walnut pieces in a hot oven for 10 minutes until golden brown (they should smell heavenly by now!)
- While the walnuts cool, slit one side of the Medjool dates with a paring knife and remove the seed.
- Stuff each date with a walnut piece (enlist little fingers here, to finish the job quickly!)
Store in cool, dry place or, refrigerate during the summer months!
Approximate serving sizes are 2 – 4 pieces.
Please join in and comment below on what other low sugar, vegan, snack options you like to use. Thanks!