“Appe” or, “Paniyaram” are fluffy little vegan, gluten free pan fried dumplings traditionally made along the West Coast of India. My mother made these with leftover Idli batter jazzed up with onions, curry leaves, chillies and spices. I use a non stick pan with little round wells similar to an “Aebleskiver” pan.
- Idli Batter from here – 2 cups
- Onions, chopped finely – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves, finely minced – 10 to 12
- Green chillies, finely sliced – 1 to 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder, optional (I sometimes add it in for the lovely colour)
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut Oil, to grease the pan
- Heat the “Appe” or “Aebleskiver” pan after greasing the wells with some coconut oil on a low flame.
- Mix in the onions, green chillies, curry leaves, spices and salt into the Idli
- Carefully add a few spoonfuls of the mix into the little wells. Cover and cook on low heat.
- Peek to see if the edges are browned in 4 – 5 minutes and carefully turn over to cook the other side until golden brown.
Serve hot with tomato chutney or, eat them dipped in tomato ketchup as my little one does 😊