Orange Upside Down Cake (Vegan & Sugarfree)
My dear mother used to make pineapple upside down cakes for me as a child. I’ve never outgrown the charm of seeing the pretty fruit slices when, the cake was flipped on to the cooling rack. I did see a few recipes, that called for caramelising the orange slices but, did not want to lose the pretty orange colour. This cake does take longer to make because of all the different steps involved, but is worth it and, does not last longer than half an hour after it been cooled and sliced 😊
For the caramel topping,
- Fresh Orange, thinly sliced into rounds – 1
- Xylitol – 5 tablespoons
- Water – 3/4 cup
For the cake,
- Self Raising Unbleached Flour – 2 cups
- Xylitol – 1 cup
- Rice Bran Oil – 3/4 cup
- Soy Milk – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla Essence – 1 teaspoon
- Orange Essence – 1 teaspoon
- Orange Zest, finely grated – 1 tablespoon
For the Candied Orange Slices:
Boil Xylitol and water together. Drop the orange slices in and cook for 15 minutes on a slow flame. Place the candied orange slices on a plate to cool.
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and spray a 7″ pan with non stick spray.
- Arrange the candied orange slices at the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the soy milk and lemon juice. Mix well until thick.
- Whisk in the oil and orange zest for 2 – 3 minutes till combined.
- Add the vanilla and orange essence with Xylitol. Whisk well for 3 – 4 minutes until well combined.
- Slowly fold the flour in and combine gently until there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter over candied orange slices and place in the hot oven.
- Bake at 165 degrees Celsius on a fan forced setting for 45 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven and rest for atleast 15 minutes before flipping on to a cooling rack.
Cool completely before slicing. Enjoy! 😊
If you enjoyed this Orange Upside Down Cake (Vegan & Sugarfree) then please see here for another delicious cake recipe!please see here for another delicious cake recipe!