This quick “Sundal” or, “Usli” recipe uses canned kidney beans and desiccated coconut to make a quick protein-rich stir fry flavoured with some ginger, asafoetida, turmeric, curry leaves and mustard seeds. Tastes great by itself or, with extra chopped veggies as a salad lunch. Not using onion and garlic helps increase the shelf life of this delicious dish.
- Kidney Beans – 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Black Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Curry Leaves, torn roughly – 5 to 6
- Fresh Ginger Root, minced – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt, to season
- Desiccated Coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli, sliced – 1 (Optional for garnishing)
- In a thick skillet, heat the coconut oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook until they pop.
- Take off the heat and add the ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and add the rinsed and drained kidney beans. Season with salt.
- Set back on the hob and cook on a slow flame until everything is well mixed.
Sprinkle with desiccated coconut and the sliced chilli before serving. Happy cooking!
If you enjoyed this dish, please check out my other “Sundal” recipe 😊