“Pad Thai” or, “Kway Teo Pad Thai“, a favourite street food from Thailand is one of our favourite meals. Traditionally made with fish sauce, shrimp and often with eggs and meat. My vegan Pad Thai version takes away all the animal products and retains the goodness of vegetables, making this a really healthy and quick meal to make at home with dried rice noodles along with a plethora of veggies. I have used silken tofu to mimic and replace eggs and diced firm tofu for protein in a tamarind sauce. Using bean sprouts, turnip, tomato and carrots makes a refreshing dish, other vegetables can also be used such as green onions, radish, bell pepper, etc.
Vegan Pad Thai
Gluten-free, nut-free wok cooked rice noodles with a variety of garnishes.
- 3 cups Dried Rice Noodles
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 cup Silken Tofu
- 3/4 cup Firm Tofu, cubed
- 1 cup Shallots
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, crushed
- 2 cups Diced Vegetables (Carrot, Bell Pepper, Mushrooms)
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- 1 medium Tomato, deseeded and diced
- 1 medium Cucumber, diced
- 1 medium Avocado, cubed
- Dried Chilli Flakes, to taste
- Salt, to taste
For the Sauce
- 3 – 4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Paste
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- Boil water and soak the rice noodles until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Airfry or bake the firm Tofu until golden brown and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, and toss in the shallots, silken tofu and vegetables until wilted (around 5 – 8 minutes).
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce until smooth and add to the vegetables in the wok.
- Toss in the drained rice noodles, bean sprouts and baked/ airfried Tofu cubes.
- Season with salt and chilli flakes.
Garnish with avocado, tomato and cucumber pieces.
If you like this recipe, please check out my Vegan Fried Quinoa recipe too!
2 replies to “Vegan Pad Thai/ Kway Teo Pad Thai”
I have the menu ready for Sunday morning. I will try to do it because I see it as appealing. Your recipes are always eceptional. A good weekend.
Thank you my friend 😊
Comments are closed.