Vegan Glutenfree Tomato Rice
Every now and then, on a cold wintry night everyone craves warm, spicy, comforting food that is quickly rustled up. This Vegan Glutenfree Tomato Rice is a quick tomato flavoured rice pulao that ticks all these boxes. Tastes perfect accompanied by plantain chips, coconut/ soy yogurt or air fried potato slices and some hot green chillies pickles!
I have always been a fan of pressure cooking due to the reduced cooking time and efficient energy usage. Using Basmati Rice that has been soaked for 3 – 4 hours brings down the cooking time drastically, making for a quick recipe. If wanting make this recipe onion free, then omit the onion and add in Asafoetida at the same time as the onions. Asafoetida is a latex resin also, Derived from a giant fennel like plant. The aroma certainly needs getting used to but this spice is an excellent substitute for onions across different savoury dishes like Dahl/ Daal, stir fried vegetables and quick rice preparations. Asafoetida has been used in traditional Indian/ Ayurvedic cooking to help with bloating and other stomach/ digestive issues due to its anti spasmodic and anti inflammatory properties.
- Basmati Rice, soaked – 2 cups
- Mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, beans, peas & cauliflower florets) – 1 cup
- Onion, sliced finely – 1 medium
- Ginger, minced – 2″ piece
- Tomatoes, chopped finely – 3 – 4 (medium)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chillies, minced finely – 1 to 2
- Turmeric root, minced finely – 1/2″ piece
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds. Cover the pan as the seeds tend to splutter all about!
- Add the onion (if using or use Asafoetida here), curry leaves, ginger and turmeric. Roast until golden.
- Mix in the tomatoes and green chillies. Cook until soft.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and mix well.
- Slowly mix the rice and coat well in the vegetable – spice mixture.
- Cover with water until all the rice is submerged.
- Season with salt before clipping the lid.
- Cook at full pressure for 3 minutes and allow to cool by itself.
Serve hot with desired pickles and salad. Crunchy pappadums, slices of air fried potato, a dollop of non dairy yogurt , some freshly sliced carrots and cucumber sticks or crunchy plaintain chips also go well. Enjoy 😊